Phoenix Flood Preparation
How to Prepare For a Flood in Phoenix
Have you ever thought ahead of time what you would do in the event of a flood in Phoenix? It is always advisable for everyone to be prepared for the worst even if it seems impossible. Strong thunderstorms can dump a few inches of rain in a very short amount of time in Phoenix. These kinds of storms can produce damaging flash floods in no time in low lying areas.
Floods can be caused by many things other than high amounts of rainfall. Bursting pipes, overflowing washing machines, and bathtub overflows can cause just as much damage as these flash floods. Flood-hazard maps have been created to show the risk for your area, which will help determine the type of flood insurance coverage you will need. The lower the degree of risk, the lower your premium will be.
You should always take the following preparation steps in order to prevent any Phoenix flood damage:
- Build an emergency kit and make a family communications plan.
- Avoid building in a floodplain unless you elevate and reinforce your home.
- Elevate the furnace, water heater and electric panel in your home if you live in an area that has a high flood risk.
- Consider installing “check valves” to prevent flood water from backing up into the drains of your home.
- If feasible, construct barriers to stop floodwater from entering the building and seal walls in basements with waterproofing compounds.